Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Do Singaporeans dress badly?

Nuffnang kept me very busy for these 2 days with this blogging contest on "Do Singaporeans dress badly?"





So here goes my homework from the detailed research I did.

What's hot or not?

There is no definite "Hot wear", because everybody looks different, bestowed with various types of figure. So one may look hot in lets say mini skirt , one may look like a walking disaster in one. So the key point here, is finding what suits you most and complements your body and looks.why I say looks, you will understand better as I go on.


What's not?I have a list of dressing that I personally see with my own eyes, I swear I almost called the fashion police to arrest them.



1) Pantyhose/Leggings as pants



I saw my classmates wearing red pantyhose, I repeat PANTYHOSE, not even leggings, and a tiny black boy shorts that barely cover her butt over it, and a long tank top to top it off.


Result - you can see her shape of her butt clearly.I wanted to tell her might as well don't wear.

metallic leggings is a No-No. Hello~we are not going to outerspace.


Paris Hilton looks forgivable here, because of her beautiful legs. But here, how many have legs like those?whats worst, is those who wore netted leggings like this, have huge unsightly fat legs. The best part, they look like hookers.

Next Up~



2) Sexy Vs Slutty





This is slutty. Too much becomes adverse effect. you just look like you're ready to be laid. I always believe no matter how fantastic or hot your body is, showing too much skin is wrong.




This is sexy. elegant, sophisticated and hot.Rule is. if you wanna show the top, DO NOT attempt to showcase your booty and legs altogether. Don't be greedy, choose 1!Less is more.








3) Bra alert


a bra is a bra, never show it to the rest of the world like its a bikini. why I say earlier about looks. If you look as sweet like Vivian Hsu, you have less chance to look slutty. The photo explains what I mean. Same clothing worn on lets say the caucasian on the top, she'll look trashy.


4) Skinny jeans for Men

Whats with skinny jeans I really don't understand. I see ah bengs parading in colourful skin tight skinny jeans and flip flops/sandals/slippers. This is the worst fashion trend ever.

I don't care if you have sexy slim legs thinnier than we gals have, I don't wanna see the shape of your *cough* crotch.



What is Singaporean fashion style like?


Singaporeans generally "copy" fashion from other countries mainly:


- Western

- Taiwan

- Japan

- Korea.


In short, basically, I think there is no one Singaporean style of dressing. Because what we see, is what we copied from other countries. I don't hate my country, but thats just a fact. We wear what the Hollywood stars like Lindsay Lohan or Taiwanese Pop Star Jolin Tsai is wearing. To the extent, even retail shops tape photos of their apparel showing the artistes that are wearing the same. But if you notice, its mostly artistes from overseas, not local.



But hey, Im not ashame of being Singaporean, after all, what matters is I look good in what I choose to wear, what Im ashamed of, is Singaporeans that copy and look like a complete disaster. one very good example, is the Lolita dressing. In Japan, its real cool, but here in Singapore, uh uh, people stare at you like you're some kind of psycho. I agree that people who dress differently adds vibrant and colours to the society and country though, if everybody wears the same, it'll be boring isn't it?



Whats my fashion style like?


I would say Im a good mixture of classy, flirty and casual. It depends on where I go, and the occassion. Im a big fan of Black and White, 95% of my clothings are made up of those 2 colours. I like simplicity and fuss free, classic look. Not that Im lazy to dress up, I do, when its girls night out, Im decked in flirty party dresses and stilettos.

Rule is, dress for the occassion. You won't want to look the same 365 days a year right?


Do I think flip flops are acceptable?

why not? almost 85% of students wear that to school, including me. of course it depends how you match it, what you wear it with, and where you are going to. you can't be wearing a nice elegant dress with flip flops going to a nice hotel for dinner, or wearing that to work in an office. But for shopping in orchard, to school, its perfectly fine. just make sure your flip flops don't look like they were picked up from the rubbish dump. did I mention that those frm Havainnas cost like near to $40 per pair?


Pyjamas sightings in Orchard?!

trust me I have seen people in pyjamas covered with Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh in orchard. I was dumbfounded by what I saw. Even if they live around there, its a 5 mins walk, its still unexcusable. However, you can look better in Pyjamas with my help.


There are a variety of pyjamas.The following 2 photos are acceptable to be worn out to Orchard. you just got to match it up with a Trucker Cap, and sneakers for the 1st sporty set, and stilettos for the sexy dress pyjamas, you're good to go.but it only applies if you have a nice lean/average body.sorry I got to be cruel here.





you got the sporty tank top and pants set, and the sexy dress pyjamas, and also the shirt and pants set. here, Im going to prove that I can make a pyjamas look good on the streets.Im not going to pick the sporty and sexy one, its easy to jazz it up, Im going to choose the most traditional shirt and pants set. the most challenging.


TADA!!! just wear a sexy camisole inside, pull up the pants to high waist, pull over a classic black waist belt. match it with loop earrings and a nice elegant watch and heels.

Will I wear it out to Orchard?well, if I win the 1st prize, I might.

1 comment:

huat- said...

Pretty interesting..hmm..

Post a Comment